Tumbleweed Central .......

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-golf related topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Tumbleweed Central .......

Postby Shamrockslasher on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:21 pm

and the wind blows eerily down the empty street,

and the wind and the knocking empty store room flapping door stop making a sound ......

No point, cos there's no one there to listen.

:roll: :shock: :cry:
Shamrockslasher

Re: Tumbleweed Central .......

Postby Martee on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 am

:roll:

:?:

:?
ImageEvery Tee an Adventure, Every Green a Mystery.....A Journey to the End of the Start...
"the fairway gets to be a lonely place" - Allen Doyle

http://marteesnotebook.blogspot.com

Good Golfing
Martee
Martee

Postby Shamrockslasher on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi Martee,

Just making an observation that it's awful darn quiet 'round these here parts.

How have you been keeping? - still playing good golf and lots of it I hope.

Have you heard from any of the others - only ones I've had contact with are Nutty and Lefty.

Talk soon
Shamrockslasher

Postby Supp on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:18 am

Hi
Supp

Postby Martee on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Hi....
ImageEvery Tee an Adventure, Every Green a Mystery.....A Journey to the End of the Start...
"the fairway gets to be a lonely place" - Allen Doyle

http://marteesnotebook.blogspot.com

Good Golfing
Martee
Martee

Postby gwog on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Hola.

Remember me? :twisted:
gwog

Postby Shamrockslasher on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 am

gwog wrote:Hola.

Remember me? :twisted:

....and now my day is complete :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How'ya doing big guy?
Shamrockslasher

Postby Lefty on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Well... it's been a while. Several years to be exact.

My youngest is graduating college this spring, my son (who still lives with us) outgrew his adolescence and has been gainfully employed the past three years since returning from England back in 2014 and helps out around the house.

Momma is enjoying the twilight of her career, with only 3-4 more years of work ahead before she retires.

We have been blessed. :)

And, Nick, I've missed communicating with you. Should've emailed you much more often than I have. I hope and pray that all is well with you and Patti, and hope you enjoyed a great holiday season.

My golf game? Went from losing in the finals of the club champs at my club, (36 holes that ended up going to two extra holes to determine the champion golfer of the year for our club) back in 2016. Played great... as did my opponent. And we're good friends. Joe hit a phenomenal bunker shot on the 2nd sudden-death hole to within a foot (almost made it...) and I conceded his par. I had a so-so lie about a foot off the back of the green, as my approach from the fairway went long. Not knowing how the ball was going to react - I played a chunk-n-run sand wedge that ended up rolling about 15 feet beyond the pin. Almost made the comebacker from 15 feet, catching the high side of the lip, but just a little too much pace to fall. Joe won, 38 holes of incredible golf from the two of us. And honestly - I was just as happy for him as I was sad for me. Played my best golf.. hard to be upset if you've done everything you can to win, play well, and end up losing like that. Joe's bunker shot wasn't easy... his ball was sitting down, had very little green to work with. He executed a brilliant shot.

Then, this past season, 2017.... my regular playing partner ended up relocating to Florida back in June. He was my best friend, the guy I played with the most throughout the last 7-8 years regularly.

Between all of the work and effort I put in the year prior to win our club championship... all of the tournaments played, the hours spent practicing and working on my wedge play and short game.... and my buddy leaving me high and dry in June of 2017 - I guess I just lost my desire to keep up the grind. My handicap went from 3 at the start of the season to 8 at the finish of last season. Admittedly - didn't practice nearly as much. Played about 40 rounds less than I played the year prior. I guess you could say that the burnout I experienced from a hectic season the year before took a toll the year after. In the offseason I asked myself just how important the game was to me... whether it was more enjoyable to put in all of that time and effort, to be in the hunt in all of the tournaments I played, finishing 2nd in three of them, including a runner-up finish in the club championship. Or... just to relax, enjoy getting out when I wanted to play versus feeling obligated to play, especially when my buddy left back in June.

I basically took the season off. Didn't compete in any tournaments, didn't play but maybe 60 rounds last season.

So looking at 2018 - do I get back on the wagon and try to get my game back in shape, taking time away from the wife and knowing all of the hours that will be required of me to invest into the game? Or do I simply take on a lesser obligation, trying to get my handicap back down to the 4-5 range?

But that's just golf.... my pops was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer back in October of 2016. He's doing well, has survived the first year of his diagnosis. Has responded well to radiation treatments, but has decided against chemo. We're simply hoping he can make it a few more years. Whatever the Lord grants us - I will be happy. I honestly didn't expect him to last a year, but he's responded well.

Anyway... golf is still a nice distraction. But that's pretty much what the game has become for me - a nice distraction. I still enjoy playing, but the passion I had just a few seasons ago isn't there any longer. Whether I remain a single-digit handicapper or not - not the end of the world. My priorities in life have changed over the past year, and for more than just one reason.

But enough of that. I hope you are well, Nick. I don't know how often you drop by here, but hope you read this. I'll try to email you sometime soon as well.

You are still, very much, a dear friend to me. As are all the rest here. :D

God bless.
Lefty

Postby Shamrockslasher on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:06 pm

I think we've all been through our own traumas over the past few years - "Life" as you describe it.

Sometimes it just jumps up and bites you in the ass.

Me - separated, moved house - but two daughters stayed with me.

Golf game in the dumpster for the last very long while - but there were other priorities.

Have to laugh at - played 40 rounds less - hell I would have been happy to get in 40 rounds in any of the last 5 years.

Things starting to turn around - light at the end of the tunnel and I'm back playing. happy days.

great to hear from you - hope some of the others chip in and we can get a conversation going again.

Hope 2018 brings everyone what they wish for themselves. Take care all
Shamrockslasher

Postby Lefty on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Nice hearing from you, Sham.

I'm probably looking at about 40 rounds this upcoming season. Got a lot of stuff planned... vacation, home remodel, a family vacation to Cabo, going to visit my father this summer for a few weeks...

"Life" indeed.

Here's hoping that you get a little more of a nice distraction out on the links this season! :cheers:

If you have your health - you have everything!

PS - talked with Gwog a few days ago. He's been laid up for the past year, took a serious spill and ended up doing some damage to his shoulder, knee and wrist. He's waiting to have a shoulder replacement.

He's not able to type much, but felt a few of you would want to know. Our buddy has had a rough go of things the past couple of years, it sounds.

Anyway... enough for now.

All you guys - be well!
Lefty

Postby Shamrockslasher on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 am

Nick,

If you're reading this - just wanted you to know I think about you regularly and many times rely on your golfing truisms such as

"an athletic move"

"it's in the knees" and so on

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch - hope it all comes round for you.

Take care & get better soon
Shamrockslasher

Postby gwog on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Hola!!!!!

Great to back here. Shamrock, always a friend.

As he said, Lefty and I did get to spend some phone time. I swear it was as if we'd just hung up the day before.

It's been an "interesting" eight months, but with three surgeries behind me there's just one more to go. PT is a battle and truth be told, I've had to dig pretty deep to keep going. Guess the old wrestler in me is alive and well.

Anyway, I promise to check in more often.

Still the best of bunch of "Dopes" I know. :cheers:
gwog

Postby Supp on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Happy New Year!!

:cheers:
Supp

Postby Shamrockslasher on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 pm

gwog wrote:Hola!!!!!

Great to back here.

Still the best of bunch of "Dopes" I know. :cheers:

Sensai returns

Now who's missing that we need to hunt down?? :twisted:
Shamrockslasher

Postby Lefty on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 am

Haven't touched a club since November. Got a home remodel going currently that is occupying quite a bit of my time.

Heading out on a cruise with the wife the first week of March, then my baby girl graduates from college in May, then we take the family on a vacation to Cabo a week later... then we get to help her move to wherever she decides to work.

Currently she's looking at Washington state, just got her first official job offer less than 2 days ago from a company out that way.

Then I gotta go down to visit my folks shortly after that.

Not even sure why I renewed my golf membership this year, to be honest. Golf will definitely not have much of a priority in my life this upcoming season, not until mid-summer anyway.

Great to hear from all you guys!
Lefty

Return to The Watering Hole